Tuesday, November 7, 2017

choices, and how they make (or break) your day

Hi all,

Happy Election Day.  I hope all of you are voting, exercising your rights as citizens.  I am still trying to figure out how to vote, since today it will require an extra hour and a half of driving to accomplish.  However, it might be worth it.  Anyhow . . . this morning I arrived early to professional development.  1.5 hours, to be exact.  THEN, the first hour of PD was scheduled to be reading the pre-reading, which was 9 pages long.  An HOUR for 9 pages?  I mean, I know we're math teachers, but . . . seriously?  I could whine and complain about wasted time (and, believe me, I did), but I think I can make better choices than that.  It's ok to be upset by things, but letting that drive my actions isn't a great way to go. 

Anyhow, I took full advantage of being early.  I walked across the street to Trinity, waited until their breakfast opened at 7:30, and got a homemade omelette and a smoothie for 6.25.  I took a funny picture of a squirrel on a cannon, and enjoyed the thought that I might be a professor someday.  A security guard was rude to me when I got here early, so I decided to take a stroll on a crisp New England morning, on a fancy liberal arts school and see what their dining hall had to offer.  I could have stewed, stayed in my car or fumed at the security guard.  I could have wasted time driving around Hartford, trying to do something productive or something fun.  Instead, I got all my steps in, enjoyed a window into early morning college life, and had a nice leisurely breakfast.

In short, I'm grateful for the choices afforded me by my upbringing, my lot in life, my attitude, and most importantly the choices I've made.  I could have squandered my privileged upbringing by letting my choices fade me into obscurity.  In some ways I suppose I have.  I'm not that rich, that famous, or that well respected.  However, in my own corner of the universe, I've affected the lives of at least a thousand students.  Probably more.  I hope the effect has been positive, but in case it isn't, I hope at least that I made them think. 

My life's work, I hope, is still in progress.  If I'm lucky and make good choices, maybe I can get this 501c3 off the ground.  Then I can scale up my charity so I can actually get funding for it, and perhaps increase the scale I'm working at so that more people get access to technology.  Currently, through friends and coworkers, I take about 10 laptops per year and donate them to the neediest students at my school.  I'd love to do this large-scale, and get the neediest students in Hartford access to laptops with linux and a way to access the internet.

Anyhow, hope you're having a great day so far, and that you can find ways to turn things to the positive, or find the best parts in your day.

~Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays, or just gratitude

 Good morning, Here's hoping that all of you are safe, warm and surrounded by love this holiday.  If you aren't, please ask and I wi...