Saturday, April 18, 2020

DBAN and data security, gratitude and what I'm worried about going forward

Good morning all,

In response to the Hartford Courant Article, I get the same question pretty often.  Many people are worried about data security, so I should have included a link to Darik's Boot and Nuke.  I believe that it would keep my data secure, because it overwrites the hard drive several times, and when I install linux it overwrites the hard drive one more time.
https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-erase-a-hard-drive-using-dban-2619148

The only way to be absolutely sure that the data is gone is to remove the hard drive and destroy it yourself.  But short of that, you can be 99.9% sure that the data is gone by using DBAN.  To recover the data after DBAN, one would have to be an incredible hacker.  I've never tried, but I think it would be nearly impossible for me to get at data that has been wiped that way. 

I am overwhelmed with gratitude - people liked it on facebook over 200 times, donated money and about 10 laptops so far.  I hope I can keep up with the stream and repurpose them all, and that there are enough people who need them.  My other worry is that the learning curve for linux will be too steep.  I really hope that it's intuitive enough.  Mint looks a lot like windows, and the guide that pops up on startup gives people a pretty good tour.  Once it's on the internet, there are tons of youtube tutorials and people willing to help.  I suppose I can also serve as tech support to get people started.  I think once people see the benefits of open source software they will like it, or they're free to install windows if they want to.  Anyway, I hope that we can overcome these concerns and people can make good use of the machines.

Thanks for listening,

~Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merry Xmas, Happy Holidays, or just gratitude

 Good morning, Here's hoping that all of you are safe, warm and surrounded by love this holiday.  If you aren't, please ask and I wi...